Friday, October 1, 2010

Mr. Swan, Pumas, and "Fitting In"

Thank you, Mr. Swan.

Yet again you have transformed a formerly kinda cool jacket into something I seriously adore.  And thank you, Brendon, for helping me find the fabric at High Fashion Fabrics in Midtown.  I admit I am unfamiliar with many of the cooler aspects of Houston, something I may not get to remedy any time soon.





And thank you, pencil, for helping me repair my Pumas.


I bought them for that silly jaunt I took to Costa Rica last summer. I bought some lightweight, easily-packable shoes that were dark enough to not label me as an American (yeah, a redhead with makeup on doesn't look like an American. ha.) but promptly wore out a little at the toe tip on one.  The rubber came apart.  Shoe repair stores tried to glue it back together.  I tried to glue it back together.

And then finally I decided to stitch it back together myself with the tiny needle and brown thread I had on hand.  I couldn't get my admittedly small hands down in the toe of the shoes, but I could get a pencil   in there, and that needle sure did sit just fine on that eraser and then again in the wood of the pencil to thread back in the other way.  First feminine household thing I think I've ever done, other than scrubbing grout and making cookies.  Well done, Mrs. Clark!




And Mrs. Clark I am, though not according to the Social Security Administration, our mortgage, or my new job...that's going to be done later when I have time to breathe.  In the meantime, I'm putting together outfits for work and thoroughly loving it.  I actually saw a pair of jean shorts in the office yesterday, signaling to me that anything goes and I may enjoy putting together whatever outfits I see, um...fit, to...well, fit in!


Starting with the super fab Coach shoes.  What a joy they have been!  When I'm inundated with uber technical terms at the office and feel like I'm drowning in a sea of routers and multi point switches, I glance down at their shiny shininess and smile a little.

Yeah, I admit it's straight up vanity.  I am not ashamed.

I'd like to think it's just a little reminder of something familiar, a quick little pop up to the surface for some fresh air: Breathe, Shannon, you can do this.  People just want you to be confident, and you can definitely do that.  Even if you have no idea what folks are talking about.

It must be working, because they keep asking me to come back.  I've made it 5 days, here's hoping there will be another 5!

No comments: