Saturday, October 16, 2010

Job, Wedding, House...Done, Done, and (almost) Done!

Hm, what does this post have to do with clothes?

I'll tie it in: I wore the Anthro dress for the reception, and thankfully it fit.  I even think it looked nice!

And then...still experimenting with the dress code at work.

And finally...buying a house.  It's not clothes-related, but definitely purchase-pertinent.  Still can't believe we're doing it!

But let's start at the beginning.

They're still asking me back to work.

Three weeks now and no one's asked me to leave.  In fact, they're given me a badge and a computer, both very positive signs that I'll interpret as "please continue to come in."

There is a lot of technical jargon flying around in that office, most of which is very far above my head.  But I shall persevere by using my social skills to just figure out who the folks are who know the technical stuff.

Like...yesterday: I stood on my chair and called across the cubes for some information, and I actually ended up with a very good answer for my acrobatic trouble.

In the absence of technical knowledge I find that it is simply helpful to maintain a good attitude.  I am grateful every time I walk in the building, so I just let it show.  Now there is a regular stream of people coming by our cubes (I work with 2 other ladies on a floor of 95% dudes), and I've made it my business to say hi to everyone, and by name.

Of course, we're situated right by the bathrooms, which could explain the foot traffic.  But still.  Maybe I'm having a little positive influence.

As far as dress code goes, I'm still erring on the side of dressier.  Like I mentioned before, there are jean shorts are flip-flops going on in there.  But since I've been dressing each week out of a suitcase, my outfits are a little more calculated.  Plus my job involves a big ol' screen on which the CEO could appear at any moment, so I try to stay slightly put together.  I've ever enjoyed wearing heels on several occasions!

I must say that even though we're living out of suitcases, the Comfort Suites of north Austin have been very good to us.  There is cable tv, a free breakfast, and a very relaxing bed with clean sheets every day!

And this week has been particularly relaxing, because Brendon and I successfully celebrated our wedding last weekend with a lovely reception...which means we are no longer planning a reception and can now simply bask in the glorious memories!

We held this pose for a really, really long time.  But I'm glad Jess told us to!

Everyone had really sweet things to say in the toasts.

Emma really stole the show with her superb dancing skills...I was glad to join her!

The lights really made everything look so awesome.  Dad and Blinda just did a bang-up job of setting everything up and making things totally beautiful!

And now all the family is back in their respective cities, no one is asking where to put a particular table or how many tables we want to allocated to which thingy or which song we want to play when...ahhh, sweet relaxation!  

And we're back in Spring to pack things up and move into our little Austin abode!  

Well, okay, now I'm being overly positive.  They have us set to close on our casa this Thursday.  But this is the day Brendon must drive back to the platform, so we've been pushing to close sooner.  I mean come on, I can't pick up a whole sofa on my own!

Also we just want to move into the house.  Thank you, Comfort Suites, but we are ready for our own place.  So we're packing up our stuff here in Spring anyway and driving it to Austin.  I want to park the moving truck outside the mortgage company's office, just so they know we mean business.  Brendon is a little kinder and says this is unnecessary.

But we're really anxious to get in there.  Look how sweet this silly old house is...it's ready for us now!


Seriously, that funky bathroom tile is just screaming for us to be there!



So hopefully we'll be in soon...at which point I will be able to turn my still strong desires to shop my heart out at Anthro and Banana Republic into some housey stuff, like where to hang pictures and are we really going to keep using that silly Ikea sofa...stay tuned!

1 comment:

Jana said...

I seriously love that funky bathroom tile!!! Jana