Saturday, October 30, 2010

Keeping up with The Joan

Ah, muse.



Nobody else dressed in costume at the office yesterday, but oh well.  Maybe they didn't think I meant it when I said I would.  Maybe nobody was really in to it.

No matter.  It must be this 1950s house I'm living in.  Or maybe it's not having bought new clothes for 10 months now & suddenly having the chance to dress up & play someone else.

Guess I did the Time Warp yesterday.  Twice.


It was really fun at first!  Getting ready certainly took awhile though.  Not really sure how those ladies in the 60s handled the false eyelashes.  They kept getting stuck to my eyebrows as I was applying them.

Folks kinda gave me weird looks at the office, too.  Maybe because it was only kind of a costume.  Even Maria, the sweet cleaning lady who helps me practice Spanish, saw me and exclaimed, "Oooh, que guapa!!!" It's a costume, I explained, not my real look.  

By 6pm I was exhausted--my eyelids were actually tired from blinking with those fuzzy caterpillars glued to them all day, and I longed to walk free of pencil skirt constriction and high heels.

Luckily Nichole and Clay were willing to take a quick photo of the costume when I showed up at their ever-welcoming house for pumpkin carving.  It was time to move on to the jeans and sweatshirt; in this photo I was ready to leave Joan for the much easier persona of Shannon:


I peeled off my terribly-applied eyelashes, washed off the eyeliner, stored the pen-on-a-chain, then relaxed with good friends, wine, fondue, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.


It seemed the most appropriate movie to watch while carving pumpkins and drinking wine.  The husbands and I had never seen it (though I've recently seen Glee pay tribute, and having any contact with the drama kids in high school means I've watched the Time Warp, oh, about 1,000 times.)


And after lounging on the floor in jeans and sweats and digging around inside a slimy pumpkin, I think I'm okay with putting the Joan costume away for awhile.  It was fun to channel her for a few hours, but I prefer the time warp that involves humorous friends and a silly dance.  And no false eyelashes.

1 comment:

Kelly Tarleton said...

Love the costume choice - and I want to see your pumpkins!