Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Settling In

I'm mad at my clothes.

They are the last thing I have left to unpack.  They taunt me.

It's getting pretty ridiculous now as I look for things to wear to work.  Yesterday a very summery sweater ended up accompanying me to the office, along with a very wet head of hair for having spent so much potential styling time rummaging around for some freaking underwear.  I still consider myself new at my place of employment and frown upon showing up disheveled and...pale yellow. In October.

But there are no drawers yet to put these clothes, and at some point Brendon's pants and my sweaters took a page out of Genesis and got really really fruitful and well...multiplied.  And now I have box upon box of clothes, 3 closets, and a handful of hangers.  The Container Store taunts me with its Elfa solutions, but I just can't go to that point yet.  I still daydream of antique dressers and old chests of drawers with class and character for storing our clothes.

I also daydream of chucking them all.  Perhaps it's the house and all it has to offer, but I'm just not that excited about wardrobe right now.  All I can think about is organizing things and how to redo the yard landscape and repainting that awful maroon wall.

I'm consumed with everything but clothes.  What does that mean for this blog? Dunno, but for the moment it means you'll be subjected to my household puttering.

Saturday.  I spent the day lining the kitchen shelves--hugely satisfying to an organization junkie!  What a difference.


You may notice something there on the top shelf.  Yes, it's a pipe. Thank you, previous occupant, for giving us a glimpse into your life by leaving both that and a baby toy in the kitchen cabinets.


I actually agonized forever at the Container Store over the proper shelf lining.  That store just has too many options.  It's really overwhelming.  How many brooms must one choose from?  Why can't life be simpler than 25 different shelf lining options?  How did we get to this point?

More existential questions were cast aside for the day, and foamy taupe liner was purchased for kitchen and canvas liner for the bathroom.  No trumpets sounded upon making that decision, but the checkout lady approved of my choice.  I'll take that.


Not bad, eh?

On to the bathroom!


Before loading the shelves with our fluffy Anthro toallas, I hauled all the towels down to the little laundromat and had a little cup of tea across the street at Thunderbird Coffee while I waited.  There the owner and several locals gathered for their Sunday morning Review of What Happened Last Night, which they included me in on (though I did not share that I had my own private Glee marathon). 

They were super nice and welcoming, and I felt like a happy new kid at school getting picked for a team or something.  Who knew you could still get that feeling at 27?


Again, the organizing need in me rejoices at the sight of folded, stacked towels.

Of course, then I got a little busy.  Tired of having nowhere to put the keys when I walked in the front door, sick of having nowhere to set my coffee cup, and nonplussed with the old, tired rugs we still have from Ikea, I have scoured Craigslist for some help.


And found it.  And managed to load it all in the Yaris.  Well done, little car!


So the little space by the window, before:


And then after.  With the addition of silly little antique table, complete with funky little feeties at the pedestal base:


And the living area, post-rug purchase:


And the funky little guy I brought home to hold the purse and keys by the front door:


Finally, news about the neighbors.  My first night in the house I got a knock at the front door.  Someone had left me candy on the stoop, along with a sign that said, You Got Booed! and instructions to put the sign in my window, then leave candy for 2 more neighbors, and then they would do the same.

Of course I'm going to participate--I must show that I am a fun neighbor!  Except I didn't want to knock and run; this might seem creepy to folks, my being new and all.  So I put some treats together and walked to each neighbor's house to say hi.


Yes, it takes wine and olives to make Boo packages.  For the craftswoman, not the packages themselves.


And the neighbors are awesome.  I explained about Brendon being gone 2 weeks at a time offshore, and each set of neighbors said they like to sit outside in the evening and cook/drink beer/wine.  And they said they'd invite us over!

Again, feels like being picked for the team in school.  Awesome.

1 comment:

NicMills said...

Hooray! The rug looks fab! And I love your Boo containers - super cute!!! Did you meet the wee ones across the street?