Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmix

I'm not trying to take the Christ out of Christmas with this blog title. I'm just letting y'all know that there was a remix of the Alfajores incident in my kitchen this Christmas Eve.

And let me tell you, the learning curve is sharp. Alfajores, you will not conquer this woman. Besides, she has not been shopping for basically a full year now. That's a big chunk of feminine identity not being fulfilled for 358 days. Though that doesn't really seem to matter very much on a happy day like today.

Still, alfajores, you will not, not, not take successful baking feelings from me!

Take that!


The recipe was too dry before. This time I attacked it with a tad bit extra butter and plenty of The Captain. (Maybe I did The Leg while I was mixing, and maybe I didn't. Some things in my kitchen shall remain confidential.)


Last time the dough was a big freakin' brick after chilling in the fridge. The only thing chillin' this time was me, listening to Florence and The Machine and feeling like Wonder Woman as I pressed out a million tiny angels, bells, and other shapes.

Well, like Wonder Woman but with a magic potholder rather than a magic lasso. And with not quite the same waistline. But I bet Wonder Woman didn't eat cookies, so whatever.

It's Christmas, a season of giving and of no calories ;)




Last time the dulce de leche squished out everywhere, and the coconut failed to help said squishing.

This time I kept the cajeta (dulce de leche) in the fridge prior to assembly (okay, so something besides the baker was chilling, sorry).

I also chopped the coconut with some flour for a nice, fluffy, powdery finish...something that could absorb gooey caramel-like stuff and prevent cookie messes.

I know this is not the season to pat oneself on the back or really be self-centered in any way, but I'm going to say that this was a rather genius move. Autographs after the show, ladies and gents.


Yes! Yes! Little gooey men with much less drippage! Yes!


(The neighbors probably wondered what all my happy hollering was about. I like to make a good impression on the new neighborhood!)


When it comes down to it, folks, making alfajores with shapes is just a bit overly complicated. Even if you keep the cajeta really really cold, and even if you sprinkle the coconut powder on top before making the sandwich, there still might be some drippage.

I recommend doing the customary circular cookies for great success.


Even though these little guys turned out pretty cute.



So there ya go, folks, success in the kitchen. And now they are being eaten by the family here in Spring, TX without any gagging or sad faces, so I think we have appropriately spread some Latin American holiday cheer through these yummy shortbread-like creations. 

And now I'm off to partake in the holiday cheer. Thanks for the support on these, and I hope y'all have a very merry Christmas!

And please check in tomorrow for a discussion: What On Earth Comes Next? How do I end this experiment...or perhaps carry it into the next year in some way?

No comments: