Saturday, December 4, 2010

It's a Sweater!


Dunno why, but my family latched on to this scene from Three Amigos a long time ago.  Now we happily announce, in an El Guapo accent, "It's a sweater," every time someone receives one. What can you say about such men?

I was pretty excited about my first cashmere acquisition a couple of weeks ago; it was the best It's A Sweater moment I think I've ever had. Well, that's what I thought. Kelly went with me to the mall to help me return an unusuable wedding gift, and then...well, we decided I should try on clothes with the store credit.

For the record, Brendon is very aware that I did this. While he is also a recipient of the wedding gift, the logic was that he would very much enjoy the feeling of this lovely cashmere item while his sweet wife both fashionably and sweetly snuggled up next to him on cold winter evenings. So it wasn't all for me at all!


Kelly helped guide me through the trying on process as I vacillated between the redhead power colors. Eventually I decided the green one was softest. Seriously, it felt amazing. I felt kinda grown up about it, too.  I guess because it seemed to be super high quality. It felt like it exemplified how my tastes and habits have changed over the year from weekend whimsy shopping to careful, calculated, intelligent purchases.

Except then I noticed over Thanksgiving that it seemed to be pilling in the seatbelt-cross area on the front. Nooooo!

What? Already? Nosiree, that ain't cool. Back it went. I'd lost all my steam for having a high-quality sweater, too. If 100% cashmere can't deliver, then what can we believe in? Who can we trust?

Existential questions aside, I pursued another option: pretty layers. Layers that can breathe. Layers made of mostly natural materials that won't create crazy static hair or make me sweat excessively (situations that may or may not have happened a lot recently in my crazy rayon layers...which I may or may not have left in Argentina in an irritated, sweaty, hair-clinging fit).





So serveware became cashmere became lovely layers. If I keep this up I might be able to get a new swimsuit when spring rolls around.

Oh, wait...I can just buy one. Wow, I can't believe it's that close now. Perhaps it's time to start planning the January 1 shopping trip. Any suggestions? Anybody want to go? I'm almost overwhelmed at the thought!

No comments: