Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Non-Wedding Dress



Mom wouldn't have it any other way: I am to wear a new dress at our wedding reception.

It's a reception without a wedding, though.  At least, without a wedding anyone else is going to see.  It's really just a party to celebrate an elopement that will happen...sometime soon...and no way am I going to wear something old and tired to said party.

Well, I'm not arguing!  I am thrilled and delighted that Mom is making me go shopping.  She's been saying for weeks now that she wanted to find something for me to wear, and I in turn have been looking online, avoiding carbs, and doing pilates like crazy in anticipation of a day of trying on lovely dresses.

Come on, don't roll your eyes!  I'm not doing that much shopping anymore, and I wanted to make sure I enjoyed every part of the trying-on!

And wow, I did.  Mom and Sarah were just awesome throughout the whole thing!  We stopped first at Anthro on Westheimer and struck gold.


The little vintage-style number I've been looking at online was even better in real life!  I was sad to see only a 10 and a 4 on the rack, but Sarah grabbed up the littler one and announced, "Shannon, you're squeezing into the 4, don't even touch that 10!"

And squeeze we did.  It took a good 3 people to get me into it, but we did zip that sucker up.  Only to have the attendant tell us there was a 6 in the back.  That one allowed breathing, and I modeled:


We proceeded to have a celebratory drink at PF Changs, where we decided that Fortune was with us, then proceeded to the Galleria.


There I met an old friend.  Who fit perhaps just a little better this time (what can I say, I haven't seen even a crouton for weeks now).


All in all, it was a fabulous day.  I'm so excited to have a lovely little dress from Anthro hanging in my closet now.  All the other clothes look on with respect.  And Mom and Sarah were just so sweet all day long, telling me I looked awesome when even if I popped out of the dressing room with a one-shouldered atrocity (thank you, Nordstrom!)

And they laughed with me when I finally discovered what was wrong with that little beaded thing at French Connection.  I had really thought it might be a contender, something that could oust the cute Anthro dress.  But I couldn't get it on!  It wouldn't pull up past my, well, sizable thighs, but there was all this extra material!  I struggle, squeezed, held my breath...nothing.  Mom and Sarah kept asking for me outside the dressing room.

Frustrated, I pulled it off and stepped out so we could examine it.

Turns out you can't put both your legs in one leg hole of a romper.  Perhaps wine made us less intelligent shoppers :)