Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Real Closet Experiment

Last week Brendon organized our shed. The little tiny building in the corner of our scruffy lot houses our rakes, shovels, and one non-functioning lawn mower.

It was a biologically satisfying for both of us, because he got to be the king establishing order in his armory, and I got to see the caveman organizing the few twigs and rocks we have in our tiny cave.


Also nice because I can easily find whatever garden implement I need with ease. Why is it so delightful to open a closet and see everything so perfectly assembled and in its place?

With a contented smile I opened the shed door and reached for a rake...


And encountered a buzzing fly so big that I swear the whole shed moved when it did.



It was covered in thick hair and had a huge head with--seriously, I'm dead serious--antlers.

I got closer to see if it had tags or a brand or something; surely this was a an escapee from an exotic animal ranch.


No. He was just a massive fly that must have been trapped in the shed when Brendon first worked on it. He's spent the past week feeding on whatever critters were in that shed, growing huge and fat and hairy.


I moved closer and thought about shooing him toward the door. He buzzed angrily and fell on his back, doing the turtle move as he struggled to right himself.


Disgusted and fascinated, I watched. Suddenly he got back on his feet and...looked at me. His huge eyes were extra-creepy in that big white face.

I backed out of the shed, rake in hand. And I left him in there. The world was not ready for such a creature. And frankly he made me nervous.

No comments: