Tuesday, January 5, 2010

365 days, no new clothes

What does it take to make a drastic change?

For some folks, I guess it's medical help. Brendon's wearing a patch on his arm to keep himself from lighting up. So maybe I can find a patch for this: not buying any new clothes this year.

That's it. From January 1 through December 31, I will not purchase any new clothes for myself. And I'm including shoes, purses, and other accessories in that. Not a headband, not a sock. Definitely no cute jeans from Express.

What could I learn from this? What could I gain?

Well, I could probably save some money. And in an effort to see how much, I will allow myself to continue shopping. And trying things on. The clothes that I want to purchase will simply be put back on the rack. That money otherwise used to buy the clothes/accessories I adore will go into a savings account.

(Sorry, retailers, for trying on your clothes with no intention to buy. I will endeavor to re-rack all of my own near-purchases myself so as to be fair.)

Can it be done? Can an an average suburban Texan keep from giving in to the siren call of The Sale? I think so. But I want to see what it takes. What acts of self-restraint are involved in such a schism with so basic an aspect of female consumerism?

As part of this experiment, I allow myself the full temptations. I'm not unsubscribing from any of the emails I regularly receive from Victoria's Secret, Macy's, Express, or Banana Republic.

I'm not going to abstain from buying clothes for others, either. As long as the recipient is not Shannon Kelly, then purchasing a clothing/accessory item is totally fair game.

As with any game, I will have a little Get Out Jail Free card. My Ace in the Hole: a $100 gift card to Macy's (a Christmas gift from my not-in-laws). If I drastically change cup size or desperately need socks, I'll use this.

So there it is, my plan for the new year. It's not giving up smoking or losing 100 lbs; I don't think I can get help from a doctor or a support group. But it's a drastic change for me nonetheless. And I'm intrigued as to what it will take. So I'm keeping this diary as a window into my thoughts and an outlet for whatever it is a girl can learn from total retail abstinence.

Five days down, 360 to go!

1 comment:

Kelly Tarleton said...

You are so brave! I could never tempt myself like that. Good luck with the challenge :) Perhaps I can find some things in my own closet to magically appear at the Regifting Party.